Why we collect your personal data and what we do with it.
When you supply your personal details to this clinic they are stored and processed for 4 reasons (the bits in bold are the relevant terms used in the Data protection Act 2018, which includes the General Data Protection Regulation – i.e. the law):
- We need to collect personal information about your health in order to provide you with the best possible treatment. Your requesting treatment and our agreement to provide that care constitutes a contract. You can of course, refuse to provide the information, but if you were to do that we would not be able to provide treatment.
- We have a 'Legitimate Interest' in collecting that information because without it we couldn't do our job effectively and safely.
- We also think that it is important that we can contact you in order to confirm your appointments with us or to update you on matters related to your medical care. This again constitutes 'Legitimate Interest', but this time it is your legitimate interest.
- Provided we have your consent we may occasionally send you general health information in the form of exercises and advice.
We have a legal obligation to retain your records for 8 years after your most recent appointment (or age 25, if this is longer), but after this period you can ask us to delete your records if you wish. Otherwise we will retain your records in order that we can provide you with the best possible care should you need to see us at some future date.
Your medical records are stored on paper, in locked filing cabinets and the offices are always locked out of working hours. The filing cabinets are used by two osteopaths and a clinic receptionist, but individual records are only accessed when relating to treatment and all staff have signed a confidentiality agreement.
Your contact details are held on our practice computer and electronically ('in the cloud'). Access to this data is password protected and the passwords are changed regularly. The premises are kept locked when we are closed.
We will never share your data with anyone who does not need access without your written consent. Only the following people/agencies will have routine access to your data:
- Your practitioner(s) in order that they can provide you with treatment.
- Our reception staff, because they organise our diaries and coordinate appointments
- We use Rehab My Patient to provide exercise plans, so your email address may be saved on their server. This is password protected and passwords are changed regularly.
You have the right see what personal data of yours we hold, and you can also ask us to correct any factual errors. Provided the legal minimum period has elapsed, you can also ask us to erase your records.
We want you to be absolutely confident that we are treating your personal data responsibly, and that we are doing everything we can to make sure that the only people who can access that data have a genuine need to do so.
Of course if you feel that we are mishandling your personal data in some way, you have the right to complain. Complaints need to be sent to the 'Data Controller', details as follows:
Howe Osteopaths, The Old Bakery, Howe Green, Norwich, Norfolk, NR15 1HD
If you are not satisfied with our response then you have the right to raise the matter with the information Commissioner's Office.